Monday, January 12, 2009

Technical Services Librarian


I am S. Faith Wanner; my title is the “Technical Services Librarian.” Does that mean I am a technician for the library computers? That’s not the case. What makes my library position technical? Providing access to library resources is a complex process; it requires knowledge of bibliographic and data control. I am responsible for the jobs that pertain to resource management, including acquiring, cataloging, processing, accessing, maintaining holdings of library resources, and account management. I also coordinate interlibrary loan services and assist the other librarians in providing reference and public service to the community.

I’m starting my seventh year at Dickinson State. Previous to that, I worked in various K-12 schools in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa. I have a Masters in Library Science (MLS) for grades K-12 from Spalding University in Louisville, KY. In December 2007, I completed a MLS with an emphasis in academic/university libraries from the University of North Texas, Denton, TX.

When not working, my hobbies are quilting, reading, and spending time with family and friends. I enjoy watching HGTV, the Food Network, CSI, and science fiction.