Saturday, September 21, 2013

Banned Books Week

Shared with permission from Jim's Literary Soapbox

Next week is Banned Books Week, as proclaimed by the American Library Association, so I encourage you to provoke a prude or shock a scold by selecting one of these books from your local library. Stand up for your right to read what you want to read.

For example, did you know that the great novel Slaughterhouse Five, a book I teach regularly, was burned as obscene in North Dakota just forty years ago?

Lest you think that book bannings are passé, just two weeks ago the great novel Invisible Man was banned in North Carolina. I regularly teach this book, too, so I (as the Tar Heels would say) have “a dog in this hunt.” I'm proud to say that my home library, Stoxen Library at Dickinson State University, is a strong supporter of allowing people to read what they want to read.


I hope that you’ll join me in taking a stand against censorship!





First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
-  Dr. Jim McWilliams

No comments:

Post a Comment