Friday, August 13, 2010

Horrors of Andersonville: Life & Death Inside a Civil War Prison

Andersonville existed only for the last 14 months of the Civil War and conditions there were horrific! The prison was designed to house 10,000 prisoners, but held 32,000 at one point! Food was scarce and medical supplies practically nonexistent. Almost 1/3 of the prisoners died. At the end of the war, the prison's commandant, Captain Henry Wirz, was tried and hanged.

Why I picked it up: I have read few things about the Civil War and this looked interesting...but awful at the same time!

Why I finished it: I wanted to see who survived and how some of the issues would be resolved. Even though the events described were almost unbelievable, I was astounded at the human spirit's determination to survive.

I'd give it to: Anyone interested in the Civil War.

call # - E612.A5G685 2010

The Horrors of Andersonville: Life and Death Inside a Civil War Prison by Catherine Gourley c2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment