Thursday, January 17, 2008

Love Medicine - review

Wondering if you should read the first book in the "North Dakota Reads" series? Well, I would recommend that you do! The stories are based on the lives of several Chippewa Indian families and some white families that they interact with. The setting is North Dakota near a reservation from the 1930s to the 1980s.

Louise Erdrich is an excellent writer and she will keep you interested as she portrays the every day life and struggles of these families. Their individual stories are sometimes sad to downright heart-wrenching, but also funny with some dark humor. I will admit that this is not necessarily a "feel-good" read, but I was certainly glad that I did read it and came away feeling I had learned something from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment